Saturday 14 January 2012

Monkey,Crocodile and the Colourful Strawberries

I don't actually remember, when we started to tell her the evergreen story of  monkey and crocodile. She loved the story very much and it is wonderful that every child likes this story than most other Panchatantra  stories.Their hero may be the brave monkey, foolish and innocent crocodile or...?!! She demanded the story everyday before going to sleep.


At last,but the story led her to make there a 'calamity'! She wanted to have the reddish beautiful athi fruits (fig fruits). I have seen many times her eyes glittering and face expanding when I describe the sweet 'athi fruits'. The image of those fruits were very strong in her little mind. The crocodile's greedy wife says ; "If athi fruits are so sweet, how sweet will be the heart of the monkey, who eats it everyday".


She cried, wept and even became angry on the matter of getting fruits. Even all our neighbors knew why my child was crying so loudly.

It was not easy to get some such rare wild fruits. But one day there appeared some reddish beautiful fruits in the fruit stall. They were strawberries from Munnar hills.
At once a 'false idea' rose in my mind..!


I came home with a pack of it and introduced her them as one 'similar' to athi fruits. She became so excited and started to bite those nice looking fruits.
Her face paled. Those fruits were not at all tasty as they appeared.

I have learnt, how classical conditioning affects child behavior. But the theory makes a sense when it comes to real practical situations. Sometimes such an experience is panic too !!
This incident (or an accident) happened last year. She 'forgot' asking her favourite story again.

Two days ago she saw a wall paper of monkey,crocodile and athi fruits.
She reacted; Those fruits are not so tasty.

I am guilty on my joking .......Her hero was those fruits ?? She was the monkey ??
Now I am that cruel and foolish crocodile too !!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment